You must meet five challenges before you can enter the Circle of the Brotherhood. The first of these you should meet now. The next three require steady effort over a period of months. The last challenge you must meet after you are satisfied that you are meeting the first four.
- Memorize the signs of Order of the Arrow membership. Memorize the Obligation of the Order, which you received from Allowat Sakima (printed on the back of your membership card and in your handbook). Memorize the Order of the Arrow Official Song. Memorize the Admonition. Learn the Arrow handclasp.
- Advance in your understanding of the Ordeal. Gain a thorough understanding of the Ordeal through which you have passed.Serve your unit.
- Retain your registration in Scouting. During a period of at least 10 months, strive to fulfill your Obligation by continuing and expanding your service to your own troop or team.
- Plan for service in your lodge. Retain your registration in your Order of the Arrow Lodge and keep your dues paid. Be aware that acceptance of Brotherhood membership involves a pledge of service to the lodge. Develop a concrete idea of how you plan to fulfill this pledge.
- Review your progress. When you earnestly feel that you have met the four challenges above, write a letter to your lodge or chapter secretary (depending on who is administering the induction). In this letter:
- Explain what you think the Obligation means. Describe how you have been fulfilling this Obligation in your troop or team and in your daily life, and how you have used your understanding of the Ordeal to aid in this service.
- Describe your specific plans for giving service in the lodge program.
- Include with this letter your advance registration application and fees for the next Brotherhood ceremony according to the instructions given by the lodge. Brotherhood membership can only be conferred by an Arrowman's home lodge--the lodge that serves the council in which the Arrowman's unit is chartered.
The questions for Brotherhood could be similar to these:
- Recite the Admonition.
- Demonstrate the Sign of Order membership.
- Demonstrate the handclasp.
- Sing the Order of the Arrow Official Song.
- Recite the Order of the Arrow Obligation.
- Who is Kichkinet? Nutiket? Allowat Sakima?
- What tokens did the four ceremonial principles revel to you in the pre-Order, and what did they represent?
- What are the tests of the Ordeal, and what do they illustrate?
- What are the three symbolic preparations for the Obligation?
- What is the tradition given us by Uncas as described in the legend?
- What is the significance of Allowat Sakima's description of the Arrow in the Ordeal ceremony?
- What is Ordeal Membership?
- When are you ready to accept brotherhood membership in the Brotherhood?
From the Order of the Arrow Handbook.